JOB OPPORTUNITY: GIS Specialist, Researcher
Tanzania Data Lab (dLab) was established strategically to sustain the work and impact of Data Collaboratives for Local Impact (DCLI) program in Tanzania. We envision an Africa where data is frequently and effectively used to inform policy and decision-making at all levels. Our organization’s mission is to strengthen data ecosystems and data usage in innovation, policy and decision-making on health, economic growth, and gender in Tanzania and Africa.
Reports to: Project Manager
Duty station: DLab/TCC
To provide scientific and technical support on spatial data collection, analysis and management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To support the project manager in the implementation of the project
- Collecting, managing, analysing, modelling, and presenting geographic or spatial data
- Create maps and graphs, using GIS software and data collection equipments
- Producing GIS technical documents
- Use of and apply knowledge of web based GIS
- Operate and maintain computer hardware, software, and peripherals
- Assists with the design and implementation of research studies, including sampling, participant recruitment, data collection, data management, and analyses.
- Supports the development and maintenance of geodatabases for the projects and programs.
- Provides input with questionnaire and survey development, data analysis, study design, and material management.
- Conducts data cleaning and variable creation in accordance with a statistical analysis plan.
- Leads or supports statistical analyses.
- Creates interactive maps and data dashboards to communicate progress towards project goals and operational dashboards for council departments
- Communicates analytical content to non-technical audiences
- Supports skills building workshops for staff in the council and partner organizations on use and application of web based GIS
Qualification and Experience
- Should have at least Bachelor’s Degree in GIS/Land Use Planning/Data management or equivalent from accredited institution.
- At least 2 years of working experience in GIS/data management and/or land planning
- Conversance with common software used by officers in land sector including for CAD, GIS, Remote sensing, database management, images and the like
- Programming experience (ArcGIS, QGIS, SQL, Python, R, C, Fortran, PhP and others) will be preferable
- Conversance with Internet GIS and other online access to big data/ spatial
- Strong group facilitation and training skills
- Ability to engage with officials and officers in city council, utility/infrastructure departments
- Use of ODK technologies for spatial and non-spatial data
- Experience building dashboards and interactive maps using ArcGIS Online
- Experience with both raster- and vector-based GIS analysis
- Basic knowledge of statistics and quantitative research methods (e.g., linear regression, t-tests, etc.)
- Experience programming and running statistical analyses in R, Stata, SAS, or other statistical software
- Experience working with and analysing large tabular datasets
- Familiarity with social network analysis
- Experience working with diverse audiences, including international staff and non-native English speakers
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and bibliographic databases (e.g., Endnote)
- Working knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures for conducting research studies under government regulations.
- Experience building web applications in R (Shiny), Python (Flask), Power BI, or similar
- Experience programming data-collection forms using Open Data Kit, Qualtrics, or similar software
- Experience with social network analysis or graph theory
Skills and Competences
- Excellent communication skills
- Training and coaching
- Ability to work in a team and multi-disciplinary research group
- Self-motivated and highly focused attitude to work
- Qualitative data analysis skills and report writing
- Proven ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to communicate clearly to a range of different audiences.
- Receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new projects or assignments
- Typically reports to a manager
- Travel Requirements: 10% – 25%
Send your resume and portfolio to email@example.com before 1 March 2021.