Tanzania Data Lab (dLab) was established strategically to sustain the work and impact of Data Collaboratives for Local Impact (DCLI) program in Tanzania. We envision an Africa where data is frequently and effectively used to inform policy and decision-making at all levels. Our organization’s mission is to strengthen data ecosystems and data usage in innovation, policy and decision-making on health, economic growth, and gender in Tanzania and Africa.
Are you passionate on communicating about using data and data technologies that steer the data revolution in Tanzania? We are growing our team and are looking for a person who will be responsible for our external and internal communications. You will promote a positive public image and control the dissemination of information on our company’s behalf.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for implementing strategies in the areas of external and internal communications and events of the program as well as a specific focus on media coverage and brand of the organization.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
• In collaboration with the pillars head develop a communication protocol and strategy for all communications within the organization and externally with the government, partners and donor;
• Oversee implementation of the organization’s communication strategy;
• Ensure that the organization maintains high visibility in both traditional and digital media regionally, in the national and international media;
• Write and distribute press releases for project events as per the organization’s standards and requirements;
• Ensure that all program branding and communication policies are well documented and accessible to staff;
• Produce content for both print and web including brochures, blogs and newsletters;
• Establish a quarterly newsletter that informs staff of project activities, shares best practices, provides policy updates and celebrates successes ;
• Work with the program managers to document program successes and distribute them for replication through the national system;
• Develop promotional material to promote the program to stakeholders;
• Regularly update and maintain the project website, blogs, and social media handles;
• Ensure that all publications and videos are of high quality and are disseminated appropriately;
• Share and explore communication processes, good practices within the organization and with all stakeholders;
• Support activities and prepare success stories;
• Develop creative and innovative branded program materials;
• Implementation of events to ensure they run seamlessly and achieve the agreed upon end objectives;
• Initiate both external and internal communications of the project to ensure visibility of the organization;
• Assist management in tracking queries in the query tracking system and ensure that queries are responded to by the relevant parties in a timely manner;
• Perform any other related duties as assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Media, Communication, Journalism or Public Relations;
• Social Media training and/or portfolio is an added advantage;
• Minimum of five (5) years working experience in a large donor-funded development program;
• Strong communication and editorial skills
• Strong communication skills both verbal and written English and Swahili;
• Strong organizational skills with the demonstrated ability to priorities and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
• Advanced computer skills i.e Advanced Excel, MS Word, Power point, etc.
• Photography and Videography skills
• Social Media and Digital Media skills
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
*dLab is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Send your resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org before 13 December 2020.