Employment Opportunity - dLab Managing Director
Job Title: dLab Managing Director
Contract: Full time
Reports to: UCC MD
Duration: 1 Year renewable contingent on funding
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; the position is open for Tanzanian nationals only
Direct reports: All pillar leaders, M&E person, Communication Officer.
The Data Collaboratives for Local Impact (DCLI) program was launched in April 2015 with funding from President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), with oversight by the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC). DCLI projects are strengthening the availability and use of data to improve lives and empower citizens to hold governments and donors more accountable for results. The program aligns with broader U.S. government efforts to maximize the effectiveness of U.S. foreign assistance and with the Global Data Partnership’s efforts to promote data collaboration to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Tanzania Data Lab (dLab) is the first of three projects underway in Tanzania, and is the first of its kind in Tanzania. The dLab project is being implemented by the University of Dar es Salaam University Computing Centre (UDSM UCC), in partnership with international experts from SBC4D of France, Open Data Institute of UK, and IntraHealth of USA.
The dLab is an innovative centre of data-driven activity and an open, collaborative working space, connecting the data revolution to Tanzanian priorities, global development commitments, and diverse programs and investments. It serves as an anchor for the DCLI program, enabling data analysis and use to become more prominent in decision making in Tanzania.
dLab activities include training in data literacy and analysis, focused content-area data analytics, and the development of “use cases” to showcase how data can be used to improve lives. The dLab is supporting the development of a national data roadmap, assisting the country to monitor progress toward meeting the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the National Five Year Plan.
Managing Director Position Description
The dLab is looking for a dynamic, innovative leader to direct activities and raise awareness nationally, regionally and globally. As the Managing Director, you will be responsible for the delivery of all projects. You will manage a team of talented individuals and work with project partners, donors and all dLab stakeholders. You will support and guide the team in the design and implementation of a range of data and innovation projects in Tanzania. As Managing Director, you should be comfortable working in a start-up environment, coordinating all the activities of the individual program pillars and taking on different roles with varying responsibilities. Finally, as Managing Director, you will prepare the post-DCLI funding period of dLab, developing a sustainability plan, working on establishing dLab as a separate entity of UCC, and developing funding and grant proposals for the future.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following key attributes:
- Ability to create an organizational culture that values innovation, collaboration, accountability, and excellence.
- Ability to establish and grow effective partnerships and relationships with donors, government, private sector partners, and other diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and drive an organization, including developing sustainability plan, overviewing expenses, and developing grant and funding proposals
- Drive and capacity to inspire a team of highly talented and diverse professionals to work together to achieve project goals and long-term outcomes.
- Outstanding communication skills, and ability to convey vision successfully to technical and non-technical audiences alike.
- Accountable leadership with strong project management experience.
The Managing Director will take on the following responsibilities, in coordination and collaboration with the Interim Executive Director and the management team:
Mission and vision: The MD must provide overall project vision, technical leadership, and project management, adapting and adjusting the vision to fit a changing data ecosystem, political and operational environment, with input from the DCLI team and dLab management.
- Project development, policy and planning: The MD will guide and supervise staff on the design, implementation and evaluation of projects, including the management of project budgets, partnerships and project deliverables and compliance with donor requirements.The MD must carefully coordinate crosscutting programs to ensure efficient involvement of different pillars and partners.
- Management and Administration: The MD will provide general oversight of all dlab activities, managing staff effectively and coordinating pillar activities by setting clear objectives and proactively identifying and addressing project requirements with pillar leads.
- Community relations: The MD will establish and foster key partnerships with stakeholders in Tanzania and the region.The MD will also assist, or if necessary take the lead, in the identification, development and implementation of projects, engagement and events conducted by the Lab.It is anticipated that the MD will become the lead evangelist for the work of the dLab and for the use of data for decision-making generally, representing dLab at public meetings, conferences and events, including interaction with the media.
- Financial Management: Review and approve project spending priorities and monitor spending and donor compliance with support from the Finance team. Develop in partnership with the finance team a six monthly spending plan and link it with the appropriate procurement processes.
- At least 10 years of experience in the design and management of complex projects and coordination of multiple stakeholders with diverse priorities and interest.
- Experience with management of budgets, narrative and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of basic monitoring and evaluation techniques.
- Ability to engage and interact with a range of partners, building and sustaining key relationships for the dLab.
- Work as part of a startup environment, meeting tight deadlines and multiple priorities with minimal supervision of the management team while maintaining strategic thinking, organization and action planning.
- Ability to take on challenges usually associated with a start-up, such as stepping up to support program areas as needed. Experience in a tech startup, incubator or accelerator, or social business is preferred.
- Experience in building and coordinating multistakeholder networks.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Swahili.
- Must be a strong and confident public speaker, comfortable speaking in front of large audiences.
- Experience in using Webbased tools for creating, sharing, and collaborating on work.
- Experience in facilitating workshops and trainings.
- Ability to produce high quality data products is preferable but not required.
- dLab intends to be an independent self-funded entity in the future. Fundraising experience coupled with a solid foundation and knowledge of open government and open data is essential for this role.
Education: Bachelor’s-level degree required; Master’s or higher desirable.
Mode of Application: Eligible Candidates should address their Application letters to The Managing Director, University of Dar-es-Salaam Computing Centre, P. O. Box 35062, Dar-es-Salaam and send it by Email to email@example.com with subject line “dLab Managing Director” in your email.
To download the advert "Click Here"
Important: This position is open to Tanzanian nationals only.
Application closing date: 13 January 2017